650 W. Minnetrista Blvd.
Muncie, IN 47303
Tel: (765) 284-4489
Fax: (765) 213-3544
CEP office space at Mary Lincoln Cottage is generously provided by Minnetrista.
The Mary Lincoln Cottage was built sometime between 1902 and 1905, using stone left over from the re-facing of F.C. Ball’s home and the construction of the E.B. Ball house. The purpose was to provide a residence for Isaac Lincoln, Jr., his wife, Lois Lucina (Bingham) Lincoln, and their daughter Mary. Lois Lucina was the younger sister of Maria (Bingham) Ball, the mother of the five Ball Brothers.
Mary Lincoln had been hired by her uncles to be the first cashier of their glass factory. She was 43 years old when she started work on May 6, 1906, having previously worked for a railroad in St. Paul, Minnesota. Mary, who was never married, was the epitome of a professional woman, a charter member of the Muncie Altrusa Club and belonged to the Muncie Chamber of Commerce. She continued to work at the glass factory and live in the cottage for the rest of her life. She worked until 10 months before her death at age 87 in 1950.
Mary, her parents and other family members are interred at Beech Grove Cemetery in Muncie, in a family plot not far from the graves and mausoleums of her Ball cousins. The cottage named for her continues to honor her memory on Minnetrista’s campus.